2022 GMC Canyon
Pickup trucks are inherently the most flexible vehicle platforms that can haul cargo, tow, and serve as a family-friendly vehicle when they are properly equipped. The 2022 GMC Canyon offers all of those capabilities and more for the current model year. Independent online reviews have had several positive things to say about the latest Canyon model including its impressive towing capacity, nimble handling profile, and comfortable driving manners across most road surfaces.
Following along with Ernie Dean GM while we show you everything you need to know about the 2022 GMC Canyon.
Exterior Design & Features
Exterior Style Elements
Even if someone hasn’t seen a spec sheet for the 2022 GMC Canyon, simply seeing it in the Ernie Dean showroom will give future buyers an idea of its rugged capability. The automaker’s design team thoughtfully included clearly modern styling, precise details and bold accents to build confidence in its athletic performance. The 2022 Canyon is available in several trim grades, each offering an increasing level of refinement.
- Signature Denali Style: Redesigned grille, exclusive wheel designs, chrome exterior accents, 5-inch chrome assist steps, spray-in bedliner.
- Elevated Features: Exclusive black-painted 18-inch wheels, body colour grille surround.
- Off-Road Sophisticated (AT4): Black chrome grille and grille surround, red recovery hooks, LED signature lights, 17-inch wheels, Goodyear Wrangler 31-inch tires.
Functional Cargo-Hauling Ability
The cargo bed of any pickup truck is its defining feature. Owners of the 2022 GMC Canyon will get one of the most capable cargo boxes that is also available with the EZ-Lift and Lower Tailgate to make securing items stored in the back easier. The tailgate can also be locked. Some of the unique features equipped with the 2022 Canyon’s cargo bed include upper tie-downs and 13 movable anchor points.
|Dimensions:||2022 GMC Canyon (Crew Cab, Short Box)||2022 GMC Canyon (Crew Cab, Long Box)|
|Length (mm/in)||5,395 / 212.4||5,705 / 224.6|
|Width (without mirrors) (mm/in)||1,887 / 74.3||1,887 / 74.3|
|Height (mm/in)||1,793 / 70.6||1,791 / 70.5|
|Wheelbase (mm/in)||3,259 / 128.3||3,569 / 140.5|
|Cargo Box Length (on floor) (mm/in)||1,567 / 61.7||1,880 / 74.0|
|Cargo Box Width (on floor) (mm/in)||1,468 / 57.8||1,468 / 57.8|
|Ground Clearance (mm/in)||208 / 8.2||206 / 8.1|
|Cargo Volume (L)||1,169||1,413|
|Curb Weight (kg/lbs)||1,785 / 3,936||1,887 / 4,160|
|Max. Payload Capacity (kg/lbs)||936 / 2,064||835 / 1,840|
Cargo Box Dimensions
|Extended Cab, Short Bed Length (mm/in)||1,880 / 74.0||--||--||--|
|Extended Cab, Long Bed Length (mm/in)||1,880 / 74.0 (2WD or 4WD)||1,880 / 74.0 (2WD)||--||--|
|Crew Cab, Short Bed Length (mm/in)||1,567 / 61.7 (2WD)||1,567 / 61.7(2WD or 4WD)||1,567 / 61.7||1,567 / 61.7|
|Crew Cab, Long Bed Length (mm/in)||--||1,880 / 74.0 (4WD)||1,880 / 74.0||1,880 / 74.0|
Interior Design & Features
Canyon Interior Design
Don’t let the cargo bed and world-class towing capacity fool you, the 2022 GMC Canyon is designed to move people as much as anything that might be hauled in the box. Our manufacturing partner makes a crew cab version available for every trim grade, that will have little trouble accommodating up to five passengers. Additionally, the rear seat in crew cab-equipped Canyon models can be used for storage to keep the interior tidy and valuables out of view.
Sound Insulated Cabin
The 2022 GMC Canyon is built to work. After a long day, it’s more than reasonable to just want a quiet commute home. GMC employs an inlaid door design, triple door seals, liquid-applied sound insulation, and more to keep intrusive road sounds outside of the truck’s passenger cabin.
Premium Interior Materials
To be sure, there are no versions of the 2022 GMC Canyon that have bad interior options. Ernie Dean GM customers interested in a version of the 2022 Canyon that is very capable and offers premium interior materials will have several well-equipped options to choose from.
- Elevation Premium: Offers heated leather-appointed front seats, heated steering wheel, and powered lumbar support for the driver.
- AT4: Includes embroidered AT4 logos on the front headrests, leather-appointed front seats, and Jet Black/Kalahari colours.
Denali: Another option with leather-appointed front seats with unique stitching and Denali-exclusive Ash-Wood accents trim pieces.
|Dimensions:||Extended Cab||Crew Cab|
|Front Headroom (mm/in)||1,052 / 41.4||1,052 / 41.4|
|Rear Headroom (mm/in)||932 / 36.7||973 / 38.31|
|Front Legroom (mm/in)||1,143 / 45||143 / 45.0|
|Rear Legroom (mm/in)||727 / 28.6||909 / 35.8|
|Front Shoulder Room (mm/in)||1,460 / 57.5||1,460 / 57.5|
|Rear Shoulder Room (mm/in)||1,455 / 57.3||1,427 / 56.2|
|Front Hip Room (mm/in)||1,396 / 55||1,397 / 55.0|
|Rear Hip Room (mm/in)||1,327 / 52.2||1,354 / 53.3|
GMC Canyon Image Gallery
Performance & Capability
Ernie Dean GM customers will have three engine options to choose from when they are working with one of our product experts to equip a 2022 GMC Canyon. The standard powertrain is a naturally aspirated 2.5-litre, inline four-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. It will produce 200 horsepower and 191 pound-feet of torque. Certain trims can have a 3.6-litre, V-6 engine and eight-speed automatic transmission, producing 308 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque. The turbocharged 2.8-L Duramax diesel engine is also available with a six-speed automatic. Trucks with this engine will make 181 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque.
The Canyon has so many ways to get a job done, with a host of capable features ready to help you in your tough work duties at any time.
- Integrated Trailer Brake Controller: Towing is more than hooking a trailer to a truck and hitting the road. Drivers need to be able to maintain control over the truck and its load at all times. The integrated trailer brake controller will help reduce the amount of braking input needed while going down a hill.
- Automatic Locking Rear Differential: When the 2022 Canyon’s wheels start to slip, the automatic locking rear differential will engage to apply torque to the slipping wheel so the driver can maintain control.
- Duralife™ Brake Rotors: Coming to a stop on slippery, muddy, icy or snow-covered roads require specialty equipment. Duralife™ brake rotors resist corrosion so they will perform as intended for as long as possible.
- Trailer Sway Control: Losing control of a trailer can have major consequences. Trailer Sway Control will get ahead of the dangerous swaying problem and automatically make corrections to prevent issues.
AT4 Off-Road Systems
Pickup trucks are inherently capable of tackling a variety of driving environments. The 2022 GMC Canyon AT4 is equipped with several systems and features to support off-road driving.
- Transfer Case Shield: There are a lot of things that can damage crucial components. The important transfer case for the four-wheel drive system is covered by a rugged shield to protect it from rocks and debris.
- Advanced Hill Descent Control: Off-road driving has a lot of literal ups and downs. The advanced hill descent control system helps maintain a constant speed when going downhill.
- Off-Road Suspension Package: This important package will extend the Canyon’s already robust off-road driving capability to meet the AT4 trim’s standard for performance.
- Goodyear DuraTrac Tires: Tires are critical to safe off-road driving. The 2022 Canyon AT4 comes with 31-inch Goodyear DuraTrac tires as standard equipment.
|Specifications:||2.5L I4 Gas||3.6L V6 Gas||2.8L Duramax Diesel|
|Max. Trailering Capacity (kg/lbs)||1,588 / 3,500||3,175 / 7,000||3,493 / 7,700|
|Elevation Standard||Standard 2WD||Available||--|
Infotainment & Connectivity Systems
Canyon owners can access an entire world of information with the GMC infotainment system and its available 8-inch touchscreen interface. Some trims are equipped with a native navigation system. A high-speed Wi-Fi hotspot is also available.
Device Support Features
Smartphones are an important part of the technology ecosystem in a modern vehicle. The 2022 GMC Canyon supports these devices by making a wireless smartphone charging tray an available accessory. Additionally, up to four USB charge-only ports can be equipped throughout the truck’s passenger cabin.
Outside Software Compatibility.
There is a lot of natural capability contained within the GMC technology included with the 2022 Canyon. However, the automaker has been wise enough to include additional compatibility with some of the most popular software available.
- Alexa Built-In: Extend the capability of your Amazon Alexa digital home assistant to your vehicle to have hands-free access to music, navigation, calls, shopping lists, and more.
- Android Auto/Apple CarPlay: These suites of applications will extend the use of each smartphone platform to the 2022 Canyon in several interesting ways, designed to encourage safer driving behaviour.
- myGMC Mobile App: The GMC app allows 2022 Canyon owners to remotely operate several functions and manage the truck’s maintenance from almost anywhere.
GMC and the rest of the global automotive industry have developed active safety systems to help prevent accidents from happening in the first place. The 2022 GMC Canyon can be equipped with several such systems to protect drivers and passengers.
Rear Park Assist
Parking can present some special challenges. Rear Park Assist lets drivers know when there is a difficult-to-see obstacle behind them that could become a problem and cause a collision.
Lane Departure Warning
Drifting out of your lane causes problems for everyone on the road. Lane Departure Warning will let the driver know if they are getting too close to either edge of properly marked roads.
Forward Collision Warning
You can only control what you’re doing on the road. Forward Collision Warning alerts the driver if they are closing in on the traffic ahead of them with enough time to take corrective action.
Tire Fill Alert
Underinflated tires can lead to several issues like increased tire wear and decreased fuel economy. Tire Fill Alert will provide a clear reminder that one or more tires need some attention, like having more air added.
What’s New From the 2021 GMC Canyon?
A lot of the elements found with the 2021 GMC Canyon have been carried over into the 2022 model. However, the 2022 Canyon adds the Denali Black Edition to the lineup. This takes the existing Denali package and adds more refined features like 20-inch low-gloss black wheels, black assist steps, GMC gloss black exhaust tips and all-weather floor liners.
2022 Canyon Model Trims
Elevation Standard (2WD only)Starting at $28,648*
- 18-inch black-painted aluminum wheels
- Body-colour grille surround
- LED fog lamps (available)
- High Elevation package (available)
ElevationStarting at $28,648*
● 18-inch black-painted aluminum wheels
● LED Fog lamps (available)
● Driver Alert package (available)
● High Elevation package (available)
AT4Starting at $42,248*
● 4WD, with Automatic Locking Rear Differential
● Off-road suspension package
● LED fog lamps
● Wireless charging (available)
DenaliStarting at $49,448*
● 20-inch diamond-cut machined aluminum wheels
● Heated, ventilated leather-appointed front seats
● Spray-on bedliner
● Driver Alert package